Wednesday 17 January 2007

Contracts and Commitment

Are blogs places where you rant about your pet hates? No? Well, you know what really grinds my gears? I know you don't really want to know but I'll tell you anyway. Contracts. Long term commitments to pay money for something I don't really know if I'll want in a couple months time. I'm an impulsive character by nature and sooner or later any commitment I've made comes back to bite me in the rear.

My mobile is pay and go. I don't want to be paying 35 quid a month to shout into an outdated brick that has the battery life of a celebrity marriage.

In the UK there are some things you just can't have for love or money, without a contract. And at the top of the list is gym membership. Now who wants to be committed to that beyond January 5th? Nobody, that's who. Oh, and fit people. But I'm not nobody and I'm certainly not fit. So when my wife's sister said she'd take over my membership contract I was laughing all the way to the bank. I mean telephone. Only there are some contracts you can't get out of and you guessed it, my gym membership is one of those. I've decided that corporations who don't let me do what I want are victims of Borg assimilation. And since there's no recourse for someone who's put there name on a Borg contract, I resort to the last refuge of the consumer who screwed himself. Yes, complaining online, as noisily as possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I sent the following to Esporta and haven't yet had a response.

Thank you for making an attempt to understand my complaint. I hope on a human level you understand my dissatisfaction even if your loyalty to your employer dictated your response.

I strongly feel that policies like this and Esporta's unwillingness to explain their policies will alienate future members and leave your existing members unsatisfied and disgruntled. To illustrate this point, I have produced a web page at: http://esportasucks.googlepages.com/ . I would be grateful if you could alert your employer to it's existence.